POLL: How do you Play Chords ?

Basically to be used for anything you wish to discuss that does not fit into any of the other specific categories listed below

Playing Chords ?

You may select up to 2 options

View results

Lee Jones
Site Admin

POLL: How do you Play Chords ?

Post by Lee Jones »

I know a lot of you on here have the Marquee, which is clearly sofisticated and capable of
playing music with so many automatic functions, but what about the Chords ?

I have been meaning to put this poll on the forum for quite a while,
and it would be great, and very interesting to hear from all the members
what they do when playing chords on a Lowrey Organ
Susan Star

Re: POLL: How do you Play Chords ?

Post by Susan Star »

As a begginer, only ever play using everything automatic, and cannot be asked to change now
Joe Cardana

Post by Joe Cardana »

For me, it depends on how I learned the song.

Some songs which are C, F & G I play full chords due to C7 and G7. It's just the way my fingers remember it.

The songs I'm learning now, single finger, it's just faster and easier. I don't care about "playing properly". The point is to play!

The whole point of making music is how it sounds, not how it was made.

The Marquee has a feature where I can use the pedals to play the chords instead of the left hand. I do have one piece in mind where I'd like to play both hands and use my feet for the automatics. We'll see.
Current Instrument: Lowrey Marquee (EX-5000)
        Videos & Files: Anadrac Organ Works on Youtube, More Organ Music at anadrac.com
Rio Rancho, New Mexico: USA
rjcoop5

Post by rjcoop5 »

I always play full hand chords, and have learnt several augmented and diminished chords, (along with the usual major and minor chords,and seventh chords) these do give a lot or colour to a song. I occasionally use a full chord right hand, but I’m limited with this. I never use one finger chords, I can’t play the pedals, and rely on the auto bass. I read music, but not bass clef, relying on the chord symbol above the music. I prefer reading music as written. I use those Hits For Buskers, and thick Fake books, which have heaps of songs in them. I do have some easy play books too, occasionally I may need a song from them. I can’t play by ear at all, and must have the music sheets in front of me. Hope this adds to the survey.
Susan Star

Post by Susan Star »

Joe Cardana wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:58 pm
The whole point of making music is how it sounds, not how it was made.
Too true Joe
As i am learning to play i use all the shortcuts i can, and learning to play 3, 4 or more fingered chords when i don't have to seams a waste of my time.

I also think having read posts on other forums and websites that there is a lot of snobbery when it comes to playing the organ, those that have been playing for a long while 10 years or more, always say fingered chords are best, and i have even heard people say that they cannot respect anyone who plays with one finger and no pedals . As i said this is pure snobbery !
Joe Cardana

Post by Joe Cardana »

Susan Star wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:08 pmI also think having read posts on other forums and websites that there is a lot of snobbery when it comes to playing the organ, those that have been playing for a long while 10 years or more, always say fingered chords are best, and i have even heard people say that they cannot respect anyone who plays with one finger and no pedals . As i said this is pure snobbery !
Yep! I think they are jealous because, for example, my "Nadia's Theme" is better then anything a "real organ" can do with a "real organist". Lori Graves told me I'm a "fine organist". So I just remember that... and continue to make my music, my way!
Susan Star

Post by Susan Star »

my "Nadia's Theme" is better then anything a "real organ" can do with a "real organist"
Yes I agree Joe, have just listened and watched the video on your channel and i think it's superb, and very professional sounding.
I would think that most people would not believe that it was being played on an organ at home at all, with tall those strings etc.

One thing i'm curious about, how do you get the last note to continue on the upper keyboard while continuing to play on the bottom keyboard ?
rjcoop5

Post by rjcoop5 »

I agree with Susan, there is another one in particular, organ forum which unless you play full chords (both hands) and pedals, then you can’t play properly, at least THEIR interpretation, also that same forum often rubbishes Lowrey organs. I would never join that forum whom are very elitist, just read the posts. Nothing nice about Lowrey is rarely posted there. My first Lowrey, years ago, I started using one fingered chords, and I think they sound equal to full chords, (as I retired years ago, only to fill in some time, I started learning full hand chords,) Lowrey have also by far, had the best home organs, they have seen so many other manufacturers disappear. Loved you Angel from Phantom Joe, it had real feeling and shows what can be done with a Lowrey, and no rhythm if Im correct. I would love to know your registration used .Keep posting. Ray.
Joe Cardana

Post by Joe Cardana »

Susan Star wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:52 pmOne thing i'm curious about, how do you get the last note to continue on the upper keyboard while continuing to play on the bottom keyboard ?
The Marquee has many Harmony options. All of which can be "cascaded".
Susan Star

Post by Susan Star »

That's me out then Joe, i only have a royale and no cascade