POLL: What do you expect ?

Basically to be used for anything you wish to discuss that does not fit into any of the other specific categories listed below

If you order a Heartland Oak organ, what wood do you expect it to be made from?

You may select up to 4 options

View results

Joe Cardana

POLL: What do you expect ?

Post by Joe Cardana »

Thank you for your time,

Joe
Current Instrument: Lowrey Marquee (EX-5000)
        Videos & Files: Anadrac Organ Works on Youtube, More Organ Music at anadrac.com
Rio Rancho, New Mexico: USA
rjcoop5

Re: POLL: What do you expect ?

Post by rjcoop5 »

one would expect it to be as advertised, consumer law here requires this. Could be Oak veneer over MDF, on the flat sections, roll top and other curved sections would be different.
Joe Cardana

Post by Joe Cardana »

Raymond wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:00 amCould be Oak veneer over MDF
MDF?
Raymond wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:00 amon the flat sections, roll top and other curved sections would be different.
The pedals are oak.

I was told by two professional woodworkers, the cabinet is African Mahogany.
Attachments
Heartland Oak.jpg
Heartland Oak.jpg (104.63 KiB) Viewed 4199 times
Lee Jones
Site Admin

Post by Lee Jones »

MDF is Medium Density Fiberboard - MDF is an extremely common material used in furniture. ..., in all its densities,
is an engineered wood-based sheet material made by bonding together wood fibres with a synthetic resin adhesive.
I think in the US you call it Hardboard ?

If Lowrey Organs are made from MDF, then this will explain why they are so heavy . . . . . .

I could not answer the poll directly as none of them apply

Had i ordered an organ that specified that the cabinet was made of Solid Oak, Solid Cherry,
solid Mahogany, then yes that is exactly what i would expect.

But as your Lowrey clearly states it is a Heartland Oak Finish, i would simply think that
the actual finish was produced to resemble an Oak finish ( not really sure what Heartland Oak is anyway?)
and the underlying materials used could indeed be made of a completely different material such as
African Mahogany as you say, but the Finish made to look like Oak !

I would not be surprised to find that all the Lowrey Marquee's ( Cherry , Mahogany or Oak) are all made from the same materials
and then stained, lacquered/polished to resemble the required finish.

This is something that has been banded around from time to time here in the UK, as a lot of furniture for example,
was made from veneered covered wood solid/chipboard, but would be described as Teak finish, the key word being finish.

We also have here a supplier that states and advertises on UK TV that all items are made from Solid OaK,
in that case that is exactly what i would expect to get

Due to the fact that you have asked the same question on many other platforms,
can we please ask what or why this is of such importance to you, and in your words a serious question ?
Joe Cardana

Post by Joe Cardana »

Lee Jones wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:57 amcan we please ask what or why this is of such importance to you, and in your words a serious question ?
A few reasons. I'm tired of Lowrey blowing me off. Calling it Heartland Oak FINISH is misleading and on the verge of false advertising taking into account Lowrey targets sales to seniors. The pedals are oak. If this $30K+ instrument is made of MFD, I'm going to be even more pissed. I'm also frustrated as to why other Lowrey owners just accept this. I'm also confused as to why other Marquee owners on another forum can assist me in a simple task to reproduce a problem I'm having.
Lee Jones
Site Admin

Post by Lee Jones »

Have just been looking at some pictures i took of the inside of my Stardust when i removed the backing
to replace some failed bulbs.

It clearly shows the outer casing made of a hard wood, but not cherry (cherry is the described finish for my organ).
It also was clear that due to an over-spray being evident, a sprayed on colouring/stain was first applied to achieve the
required finish.

So as i said previously, it would make sense that the manufacturers would use all the same materials for the casing and just change the finish as required.

Also noted was the fact that my stardust is an SU530, and yet some of the circuit boards had labels with SU600 (Grande Royale) on them
which i suppose is not surprising as a lot of the SU range control panels look identical anyway.

Below is a photo & video i made for an online Lowrey friend in USA (Daniel Pfister) who also has a stardust. I wanted to replace the bulbs that illuminate the various panels, and he wanted to see how the UK organs are joined - so we compared notes.

https://youtu.be/NKZdEZuYO78